Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Which one are you?

I had an awesome candidate interviewing for a position, and they spec'd out on almost every technical detail imaginable.  I made sure that they were appropriately prepared: knew the name/title of the interviewer, had the job description, understood the position responsibilities and was monitoring interview feedback along the way.  All signs were positive...right up until I spoke with the hiring manager.  That might have even been positive if she had been able to answer her own, not my, question.

The candidate presented very well, sounded knowledgeable on all fronts, had a solid career trajectory, reputable employers, good tenure, etc.  So what went wrong you ask?  It came down to a lot of 'we',
'us', and 'our' terms when asked to describe 'his' individual contribution(s).

I know, it conveys a sense of collaboration and being part of a team.  What wasn't made clear to this particular hiring manager is what 'they' specifically did as part of said team.  In my hiring manager's words, "Everything about this candidate tech's out but I'm just not certain if they're a good team player or just a player on a good team.  The first I definitely need; the second...I have plenty of those already."

Do plug yourself into the equation and demonstrate through the use of words like 'we', 'us' and 'our' your team-player-ness,  but don't forget to share what your specific contributions are/were or you may leave a prospecive employer asking the same question...vinny

1 comment:

  1. As a hiring manager and noticing or thinking your prime candidate might be a follower by her (strange that you indicated a her and she/ I gather you dont have this happen with men) words in the answers is relevant to you as a hiring mgr.
    Women who use or start we/ us instead of me or I, is not uncommon in interviews. Some based on the males she currently works with or management. Many ( see how I didnt see all) male hiring or interviewers may not be a good as thinking outside the box as you are. They are trained to look for individual contributors, as you are looking for. However, many "raising" women need to know at the start of the interview they can be strong and not to worry about not getting the job based on using I in describing her work. Sadly- it is the case and you may only find 1 out of 500 will be dynamic, independent and confident in the roles they are in now to answer you in kind.
    However, 2 years ago someone I didnt know at a NANOG conference as me to mentor one of his very timid and shy engineers. I looked him in the eye and said. I will mentor him how to improve himself to help make her confident in her work and working with a mostly male workplace. It took him almost 18 months. I recently saw him, he ran over to me to introduce me to the female engineer he was so proud of.
    Maybe the next time you interview a women who answers with these words, you might think to yourself, hmmm. let me dig deeper and see the opportunity infront of you.

    ReplyDelete