Thursday, June 10, 2010

"If you just get me the interview I'll get the job!"

As a recruiter I actually stopped counting the number of times I've heard this from job seekers and while I applaud their confidence, it's usually not a true statement.

How can someone possibly know this for certain if they don't know the people interviewing them, the specific competencies being measured, the caliber of the other candidates competing for the same position or what kinds of questions they will be asked? You can't.

I don't suggest being pessimistic, I actually encourage going in with confidence since you probably wouldn't be getting an in-person interview if someone at some level didn't think you capable of doing the job. In a dozen years of coaching job seekers I've found a little nugget of truth I'll share and that most job candidates have never heard before...hiring managers want to hire, most just don't like interviewing. Go in focused on demonstrating your ability to do the job during the course of the interview and you'll likely be the one coming out of it with the offer.

Don't think of it as an interview, interrogation or inquisition although it may feel like all three. Instead, pretend it's your first day on the job as a consultant meeting with a hiring team on how to help them solve their problem. Clearly they have problems or they wouldn't need to hire you, so be sure to ask good qualifying questions before offering up answers.

I'll end this post with a question. What answers would you give during an interview if the hiring team was paying you for them? vinny

No comments:

Post a Comment